Friday, July 14, 2006

Week 38




Two more weeks remain until my due date.... July 24. At this point, however, I am trying to not focus on the exact date - something like 20 percent of babies are actually born on their due date. The rest of us will deliver within a four week window surrounding our date.

Anticipation is growing but not slowing us down. This weekend we went berry picking and then hiking at the state park. I hoofed it 8 miles, including a climb up 154 stairs (see photos). Was hoping to walk the baby right out of me but, so far, he's still clinging on for dear life. Finished the weekend up with a crab feast Saturday night followed by vanilla ice cream topped with fresh blackberries. We enjoyed a fresh blueberry pancake breakfast Sunday morning and saw "Pirates of the Caribbean Part 2."

Bag is packed - it's truly amazing how much stuff one is supposed to bring to the hospital. I feel like we are ready to move in for a week! Cameras, I-pod, snacks, car seat, diaper bag, clothes, exercise ball.... it's borderline ridiculous. I bet we end up not using half of it. But, what else do we have to do right now? Been having some sporadic contractions over the last 24 hours. Not putting much stock into it. Most likely just Braxton Hicks - but heart-stopping all the same. Have a Dr's appt. this afternoon so we'll see what she says. I've decided that my doctor's favorite line is: 'Could be tomorrow, Could be three weeks.'

At this point, the baby could be anywhere from 6 pounds to 7.5 pounds and up to 20 inches long according to my BabyCenter.com update. I am going to ask my doctor estimate the weight when I see her today. So far, she hasn't ventured a guess. Small babies run in the family, and I'm hoping this one will follow suit. Nothing wrong with a six-pounder, right? (Please God don't let it be an eight pounder). Sarah Q's baby is six week's old now and weighs 9 pounds. I was just trying to imagine those poor women who give birth to nine pound babies - or more! Never mind, I don't even want think about it.

Justin starts sailing camp this week and by the time he is done he will be a better sailor than any of us. The course looks pretty intense. Swimming tests, reading homework, etc. I left him this morning with a big smile on his face, so I take it he's excited. His father and I are a bit more anxious and hoping he has fun and isn't overwhelmed and exhausted (it's an all day camp). They finish off with a big race on Friday so we'll be sure to get some pictures.

Here's some pictures from our weekend hike:

No comments: